Sunday, July 15, 2012

How lucky I am to perceive Colors.


Sometimes, we tend to take even the most simplest things in life, gifted by God, for granted. I am referring to one of the conversation I had with my colleagues last week. This conversation revolved around the ability of how human eye can perceive colors so beautifully and this is something which no one should ever take for granted, because color-blindness is a reality and it happens with a lot of people.

So, during the conversation, I found out that two of my colleague suffers from color-blindness. That's when I realized how blessed I am to see all the beautiful colors in this world.

Now both of these guys suffer from two different types of the same disorder. One is called as Trichromancy, or inability to distinguish between three primary colors, basically red, blue or green. This causes them to see most of the shades or red as either gray or dark blue or dark red or dark green. Weird huh!!

The other one suffers from another type of partial color blindness called anomalous dichromancy, where he is unable to distinguish between shades of green and yellow, and specifically in his case, yellow. He once told me that he can see all darker shades of yellow as white or maybe light yellow, that too depends on the luminescence and the contrasting colors accompanying the yellow shade.

How lucky I am not to have this disorder. Thank god. To find out if you can identify most of the colors, check out this brilliant wikipedia page which lists all the possible color combinations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors

Don't get disheartened if you are among the color-blinds. You can still live a normal and a healthy life. Its just your eyes and your brain tricking you, nothing else.

No comments: